About Parthenonas

Parthenónas lies five kilometres above Néos Marmaras at a height of 350 metres.  It is the only preserved village on the Sithonia peninsula and counts as one of the most beautiful mountain villages of north Greece.  It was totally deserted for many years.  The villagers preferred to move to the economically prosperous refugee settlement of Néos Marmaras, which was created in 1923.  The houses in Parthenónas fell into disrepair but, nevertheless, the architectural unity and the rural charm remained.  At the end of the 1970s, the village was ‘rediscovered’.  Most of the two-storey houses, made of unplastered stone, found new owners.  Native Greeks and foreigners painstakingly took care of the restoration.

Various facilities were renewed: water, sewage, electricity, road, car park, school and church.  The old school became a local history museum, which nowadays certainly lacks sufficient money to pay its staff and is therefore closed most of the time.

Part of the fascination of Greece, in which poetry and truth go hand in hand, began in antiquity and continues till now. Pathenónas is no exception.

The Roman town of Parthenopolis, which was dedicated to the goddess Parthenis, was located nearby.  The name means ‘Virgin Castle’. Woven in with this is the legend that there was once a feudal lord in this area who took in virgins to protect them from violation by pirates.  According to written sources, in the 10th century AD, the village was variously named as Patheni, Parthenionas and, finally, as Parthenónas.

This web site is a private initiative aiming to promote Parthenonas as a touristic destination in Halkidiki.
How to Contact us

[contact-form-7 id=”8″ title=”Contact form 1″]